Are lab diamonds,existent diamonds? YES! Are lab diamonds worth anything? YES!
There has been a lot of debate regarding what a lab grown (also known as lab-created) diamond is and if information technology’s a “real” diamond.
Let’south dive into what sets these stones apart (or doesn’t) from naturally-mined diamonds. Of form, information technology’s a personal preference, simply we don’t think lab grown diamonds are a fad, in fact, we think they’re here for the long haul. They are becoming an increasingly pop choice for promise rings and wedding bands. . Here are some of the facts so you tin decide what’s all-time for you lot!
What is a lab grown diamond?
The master deviation between a lab grown diamond and a naturally-mined diamond is simply the mode it is created. A mined diamond is formed naturally deep beneath the Earth’s crust where temperatures and pressures are very high. These diamonds can only be mined when rare volcanoes erupt and bring them close to the surface.
We imitate that same process in our lab using a High-Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) or Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) process. What starts as a diamond seed— a minuscule slice of a diamond— blossoms into a large, rough diamond equally carbon atoms grow around it. These elegant pieces are grown in certified labs that utilize very limited energy and emit side by side to no emissions.
DIAMONDS FROM THE LAB
- Lab grown diamonds usually toll almost 30% less than natural diamonds of like size & quality.
- The grown diamond process duplicates what occurs naturally- making information technology impossible for the human eye to identify the deviation of lab-grown or earth mined.
- They are certified & graded to the same standards every bit mined diamonds.
DIAMONDS FROM THE MINE
- There is a large selection readily available of designs, sizes, and shapes to choose from.
- Diamonds formed from earth’s crust with incredible quality are rare, and that’s part of their appeal. Formed under the earth’s crust over billions of years
- Those mined today formed billions of years ago, giving them an unprecedented historic amuse.
Frequently Asked Questions About Lab-Grown Diamond Jewelry
1. Why are lab grown diamonds cheaper?
Lab grown and natural diamonds have the same costs when it comes to cut, polishing, and inspection. The difference in price stems from the difference in the costs and processes leading upward to that point, the heavy cost of mining.
2. Is a Cubic Zirconia (CZ) the aforementioned as a lab grown diamond?
Absolutely not. A diamond is made of carbon and cubic zirconia has null carbon, making it much weaker and with different light performance than lab grown or natural diamonds.
iii. Are laboratory-grown diamonds existent diamonds?
Yep, they are real diamonds. Lab grown and natural diamonds cannot be differentiated with the naked heart. They besides have that same sparkle you’d look for in a natural diamond. You tin’t tell the difference between lab-created diamonds and real diamonds without specialized equipment, fifty-fifty if you’re a professional gemologist! The all-time way to tell the departure between lab-grown diamonds and real diamonds is to wait at the grading report.
4. Are lab grown diamonds GIA Certified?
A lab-grown diamond is graded and certified using the same process every bit a mined diamond. Just like our mined diamonds, our lab-crafted diamonds are sent to a precious stone lab that specializes in grading diamonds. Each diamond is graded using the 4C’s (cut, clarity, color, and carat). Both are held to the exact same standards. (Learn more than about the 4Cs.)
5. Do lab grown diamonds have flaws?
Both mined and lab-crafted diamonds are at the mercy of science, and in that location is no style to guarantee a perfect diamond. All diamonds volition inevitably include different amounts of flaws and inclusions, which is why they are graded and certified. It is important to note that lab grown diamonds are already about 30% less expensive than mined diamonds. That means y’all tin can get a much better diamond, with fewer flaws and inclusions, for the aforementioned amount you would for a lower graded, mined diamond.
6. Practice lab grown diamonds retain value?
All diamonds, lab grown and mined, are priced at wholesale and retail based on an internationally accepted pricing organization known as the Rapaport pricing method. This organisation prices diamonds based on their 4Cs, whether they are lab-grown or mined. Wholesale, retail and resale prices are determined based on a discount percentage of the Rapaport price, regardless of the origin of the diamonds. That being said, you will probably still become more render for a natural diamond since you’re likely to pay an estimated thirty% more than for it upfront.
Regardless, any diamond shouldn’t be viewed as an investment. It’south likely the nearly y’all can get for your diamond volition be roughly 30% less than what yous initially paid for it since the heir-apparent needs to be able to brand a profit.
7. Tin yous insure a lab grown diamond ring?
Lab grown diamonds may cost less, but in that location is no difference when it comes to insuring your precious piece of jewelry, fifty-fifty lab grown diamond bracelets. Equally long as insurers know it is a lab grown diamond and not a mined diamond, it’s not a big bargain. They need to know because if anything happens to your diamond, a standard policy replaces your diamond with something “essentially identical.”
Should I buy a lab grown or naturally-mined diamond?
There is no incorrect respond. The decision is entirely up to you depending on which blazon of diamond you prefer.
You should buy a lab grown diamond if:
- You’re looking for a upkeep-friendly choice (lab grown diamonds cost 30% less, on average than their mined counterparts)
- A lab grown diamond can represent mod love
- Possibly you appreciate the latest advances in modern engineering
You should buy a naturally-mined diamond if:
- Having a mined diamond made naturally in the Earth is important to you
- Maybe you accept a classic approach to dear
- A mined diamond can also be a representation of nature’s miracle surrounded past mysterious origins
The bottom line:Overall, lab grown stones share the same physical and chemical backdrop as natural diamonds. Lab grown diamonds are
diamonds that last forever simply are an estimated 30% less expensive than mined diamonds. Overall, neither diamond is “improve.” They are non in competition with one another. What matters is the significance you lot put on your diamond and what it ways to you.
However not certain? Rogers & Hollands and Ashcroft & Oak have been a leading vox in lab-grown diamonds for more than than x years. Yous tin check out our online collection of lab grown diamond jewelry here, or come across them in person at 1 of our store locations (call first to make sure we take them bachelor for you to compare side-past-side!).
We’re willing to bet you won’t exist able to tell the difference, but the toll variance volition be hard to overlook.