Hardlymoving writes about do-it-yourself automobile maintenance on various makes and models.
When door handles break, they typically break during the wintertime, when icy weather condition combined with moisture freeze the door in place and the driver yanks, pulls, and jerks on the door handle to get the door to open up.
If you are worried that you lot might suspension your door handle during the winter while trying to open it, pour warm water effectually the edges of the door before attempting to open it.
Yous can buy relatively cheap pre-painted door handles on Amazon or eBay.
This article will show you footstep-by-step how to supercede the driver’s-side door handle on a 1997 Lexus ES300. The procedure to replace this door handle applies to other Toyota and Lexus rider vehicles including the Toyota Camry. Moreover, it applies to the passenger side as well, though there may be minor differences involved in removing the door panel to get to the service ports in the door.
The videos beneath, with text instructions, will evidence you lot step-by-step how to supervene upon the driver’southward side exterior door handle on a Lexus ES300. Each video is queued up to brainstorm at the appropriate step of the door handle replacement.
1. Remove the Door Panel
- Remove the screw cover below the radio speaker using a pick tool. Then remove the console screw.
- Remove the interior door handle screw. Use a pick tool to popular open the door handle spiral cover. The cover is hinged then it does not come off. Remove the screw.
- Remove the door-mounted associates that controls the window and door lock. Apply a pry tool and wiggle information technology between the forward portion of the console lip and console mounting hole. Pushing the pry tool back should compress the subconscious locking spring allowing you to pull the command assembly out. This will expose the screw that connects the panel to the door. Remove that spiral and disconnect the command assembly electrical connectors.
- Remove the interior door handle bezel. The bezel has two mounting holes that tie the door lock tab (on pinnacle) and the door handle (on the bottom). Use a pry tool to carve up the door lock tab and door handle from the bezel. Gently pull the bezel out from the dorsum.
- Remove the mini speaker comprehend on the summit corner of the door. Gently pry off with a pry tool.
- Using a pry tool, and starting from the bottom of the door, disassemble the door panel from the door past pulling on the panel assisted with the pry tool. The push pins should release its tension.
- After pulling off the panel, disconnect whatever electrical connectedness going to information technology.
2. Pare Off the Door Vapor Barrier and Remove the Service Port Panel
- Gently skin the translucent plastic vapor barrier off of its layer of black semi-adhesive glue. Do not rip it. You’ll be re-installing it after the door handle has been replaced.
- If the window is not in the raised position, re-connect the window motor control assembly electrical plumbing fixtures and raise the window.
- Remove the black service port panel.
Roll to Continue
Read More from AxleAddict
3. Remove the 2 Door Handle Bolts and Disconnect the Door Lock and Door Handle Control Rods
- Through the service port holes, remove the 2 bolts that agree the outside door handle.
- Disconnect the metal door lock control rod from the door lock. Using a sparse tip screw driver through the port hole, pull the plastic rod servant prune away and off the rod. Using your right hand to hold the rod, use your left hand with the screw driver to pull the rod out of the retainer. Since it’southward in there pretty tight, some force may accept to be used to pull it out.
- Disconnect the metal door handle control rod from the door handle. Using a thin-tipped screw driver through the port hole, pull away the plastic rod retainer clip off the rod. Utilise the screw commuter to pull the rod out of the retainer. Once again, some force may have to be used to pull it out.
4. Remove the Old Door Handle and Transfer the Door Lock Cylinder
- The erstwhile door handle can exist removed by tilting the summit portion out then pull information technology up.
- Detach the door lock cylinder and transfer it to the new door lock.
5. Install the New Door Handle
- Tilt in the new door handle. The base of the handle has grooves that connect to the lesser of the door handle opening.
- Install the ii door handle bolts. I ecommend you place a paper towel betwixt the nut and the installation socket so the nut does not come off.
- Connect the door lock cylinder control rod and the door handle control rod.
- Test that the door handle is working properly along with the door lock cylinder.
6. Re-install the Service Port Panel, Vapor Barrier, Door Panel and Window Control Assembly
- Bolt on the service port console.
- Position and press on the vapor barrier on to the semi-adhesive glue.
- Lower the window.
- Clip on whatever electrical fittings to the door panel.
- Position the window control assembly wires through the door panel.
- Angle the pinnacle portion of the door panel over the mounting lip of the door.
- Marshal the printing pins in the door panel with the door and button the door panel against the door.
- Install the speaker cover.
- Screw in the door panel screw in the window command assembly hole.
- Angle in the interior door handle bezel in to the rectangular clip then push the bezel until it clips in with the pivot points on the door handle and door lock tab. Screw in the bezel screw.
- Connect the wire harness to the window control assembly and mount dorsum into the door panel.
- Spiral in door panel spiral below the door speaker. Install the spiral cover.
This article is accurate and true to the all-time of the writer’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional person communication in concern, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2022 hardlymoving