Motorcycle Loan Calculator
This computer figures monthly motorcycle loan payments. To help you see current market place weather condition and discover a local lender electric current
electric current Redwood Metropolis motorcycle loan rates
personal loan rates
personal loan rates are published below the calculator. The second monthly payment budget figurer shows how expensive of a motorcycle you tin can buy given a monthly loan payment.
Monthly Motorcycle Loan Budget
Use this calculator to estimate the wheel toll y’all can afford given a prepare monthly loan payment. To help you come across current market weather condition and detect a local lender
current Redwood Metropolis motorcycle loan rates
are published in a tabular array beneath the calculator.
Current Personal Loan Rates
Current Redwood Urban center Motorcycle Loan Rates
A Complete Guide to Buying a Motorcycle: Loans and More than
The lure of the open road tin can be hard to resist, and for many men and women nothing beats the fun and excitement of traveling the world on a finely tuned motorcycle. Whether it’s cruising the highways on a Triumph Rocket X or violent upwardly the trails on a KTM 350 EXC, there’s an indescribable magic that only happens when you’re seeing the world from the dorsum of a bike. Just there’southward a lot to consider before you tin can grab yourself a bit of that motorbike magic, and you lot need to think carefully near whether or not you are gear up to join the ranks of motorcycle enthusiasts.
A Brusque Quiz for Buyers
Buying a motorbike is a major commitment, both personally and financially, and you demand to be sure that you understand merely what you’re getting into before you head out to the dealerships or start making offers on 2d mitt bikes. Begin past asking yourself a few specific questions.
- Practise you really want or need a motorcycle?
- How much can you afford to spend?
- Tin you afford the additional costs of ownership and maintainence?
- What type should you buy?
- Should you lot buy a new or used model?
- How volition you finance your purchase?
Considering Wants vs Needs
A motorcycle is a unique form of transportation. While information technology may seem romantic to don your leather and caput out on the highway, riding a bike isn’t for everyone. Before yous buy, be sure that it’s more just a passing fancy. Consider the risks and responsibilities of riding, and inquire yourself if you are truly up for the challenge. Accept a safety course, and talk with other motorcyclists to become a feel for the real twenty-four hour period to day operation and upkeep of a bicycle. Remember, a motorcycle is a major investment that deserves careful consideration before yous commit to a purchase.
Figuring Out What You Can Afford
While motorcycles are typically less expensive than cars or trucks, they’re nonetheless a pregnant investment. Before yous get-go shopping for bikes and applying for loans yous need to figure out what you can safely afford. Employ the post-obit steps to help you lot arrive at a workable budget for your new bike.
- Add up your total cash assets.
- Figure out your monthly income after taxes.
- Add up your total monthly expenses.
- Subtract your expenses from your income to make up one’s mind how much you tin can afford to pay per calendar month on your motorcycle loan. Be certain to allow a healthy safe margin hither, so as not to strain your regular household budget. Call back there volition be boosted costs to operating and maintaining your motorbike, and these will also impact the overall cost of your bike.
- Multiply that amount past the number of months you volition need to pay off your loan. Keep in mind that motorcycles tend to depreciate in value rather quickly, and near financing options are restricted to 36 to lx months.
- Assign any of your greenbacks assets as a down payment. The larger your downwards payment the more manageable your loan. A larger downwards payment also increases your chances of qualifying for financing.
Additional Costs of Ownership
Motorcycles are oftentimes seen as an inexpensive culling to other forms of transportation, and to a large degree they fulfill that promise. Nigh models, barring custom jobs and loftier end cruisers or touring bikes, exercise sport a lower sticker price than nearly cars or trucks. However, there are a fair number of secondary costs associated with owning and maintaining a motorcycle, and before yous take the plunge y’all should be enlightened of those costs and how they can consequence your bottom line.
– Obviously, the price of your bike is inappreciably secondary, but it bears repeating that motorcycle prices can, and do, vary greatly. A good starter wheel, say a standard or dual sport model, can run anywhere from $5000 to $12,000; and a custom bike or high ended cruiser can cost as much as $30,000. Sure models will dictate higher insurance rates, and may demand a higher level of maintenance. These costs add up, and then information technology is of import to choose a model that fits in with your budget.
– There is a myth that motorcycles are cheaper to insure than cars or trucks. That may be the case if you are an experienced rider with a spotless driving record, merely information technology does not hold true all of the time. A number of factors come into play when y’all insure a motorcycle, beyond your driving record and the cost of the bike itself. Some models have college theft rates, and and so will be more expensive to insure. Other models, similar sport bikes and custom jobs, may exist seen as having a higher run a risk profile which can cause insurance rates to spike. Naturally, you will want to shop around until yous notice the all-time insurance policy at the best price, but don’t assume that just considering you are buying a motorcycle you will be guaranteed inexpensive insurance.
– Motorcycles require a great deal of regular maintenance, much more a car or a truck. Over time, the cost of that regular maintenance tin definitely add upwardly. For case, motorcycle tires typically need to exist replaced every 3000 miles, and that can run anywhere from $400 to $800 for the prepare. Figure in spark plugs, belts, chains, and valve replacements, and yous can expect to spend between $thousand and $1500 a year on maintenance costs lone.
– Motorcycle helmets, jackets, gloves and boots should be standard issue for all riders. If yous drop your bicycle, and sooner or later you will, you’ll be glad y’all invested in some high quality safety gear. Motorbike gear can be expensive, and this is not an area where yous will want to cut corners. For example, a expert helmet volition cost you anywhere from $200 to $800. High -chafe leather jackets and gloves are every bit expensive. If yous are a starting time time rider, or are gearing upward later on a long absence from the route, you tin expect to spend close to $1500 just getting yourself outfitted in suitable motorcycle gear.
Which Model is Right for You?
Experienced riders know that buying a motorcycle begins with choosing the model that is correct for you and the type of riding you want to do. This is a specially important indicate, particularly if yous are a novice passenger. There are safety issues to consider, likewise as the overall enjoyment factor. If you buy a motorbike that you can’t handle, or that you simply don’t enjoy riding, you will have wasted a fair amount of coin. While motorcycles are typically less expensive than cars or trucks, they are still a major investment. If you choose a model that doesn’t conform your needs or experience level, you tin can hands end upwardly paying off a bike that is collecting grit in your garage or struggling to recoup your investment past selling information technology on the second hand market place.
Before you lot think well-nigh purchasing whatever motorcycle, consider what kind of riding you volition be doing. Are yous looking for a sport bike to take on the back roads and rough trails, or are y’all looking for a motorbike that volition serve as your primary means of transportation? You should as well consider how much experience you have handling a cycle. Are you a beginner with express experience riding a motorcycle, or are you lot an onetime hand at tackling the world on 2 wheels? These questions will atomic number 82 you to the blazon of motorcycle that is best suited to your needs and experience level, and will aid you avert a buy that yous may ultimately regret.
There are six basic types of motorcycles to consider, and each delivers a different riding feel. A brief overview should help you narrow downwardly your choices, however we advise thoroughly researching your choice before making whatever concluding purchase.
An all purpose introductory model. Typical examples include the Honda 599 and the Suzuki SV650. Standard models are relatively lightweight, and their overall design makes them easier to handle while giving the rider a reassuring sense of control. Standard model bikes are hard to beat for fuel efficiency, with some makes getting more than than 60 MPG. Standard models are generally a good fit for riders with express feel, though the heightened horsepower on some models can be intimidating for kickoff timers. Purchased new, standard models can run anywhere from $7000 to $15,000, making them an bonny choice for novice motorbike enthusiasts.
Sport bikes are relatively lightweight, and are built for speed and easy treatment. Withal, these are loftier performance bikes, and equally such are not really a proficient fit for novice riders. They are also costly to maintain and insure. Popular models include the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R, the Honda CBR1000RR, and the BMW HP4. Sport bikes brand up a large role of the motorcycle market, with prices ranging anywhere from $12,000 to $30,000, but they tin can be a questionable investment if you are a commencement time buyer or are non fully committed to the motorcycle lifestyle.
Dual sport models are congenital for both on and off road adventuring, and their versatility make them a good option for first time riders. You tin can hit the trails on the weekend and ride to work on Monday. Dual sports are lightweight and easy to principal and maintain. They are also relatively cheap to buy and insure, and most models are surprisingly fuel efficient. Dual sport bikes, specially the Honda CRF250L and the Yamaha WR250R, are great choices for urban center travel and short term commuting and are a good fit for riders with limited to moderate experience.
The almost recognizable example of a classic cruiser is the Harley-Davidson Softail. Cruisers are built for comfort, and typically evangelize a relaxed ride that is well suited for longer hauls. Their low slung seats brand information technology easier to get both feet on the ground, and their low center of gravity helps to offset the heavy weight of the bike (an important consideration for less muscular riders). However, the long low build of most cruisers tin can make maneuvering a claiming for less experienced riders. Cruisers are a good fit for city and highway travel, and while they’re not as fuel efficient every bit standard models most deliver upwards of 55 to 60 MPG.
Touring bikes are designed for long rides on the open route, and there is a distinct accent on comfort likewise as power. They are heavier and more expensive than other bikes, and are not the best pick for novice riders. They are powerful machines that demand respect and a fair amount of feel to handle. Popular touring bikes include the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager, the Victory Cross Land, and the classic Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. Touring motorcycles are not equally fuel efficient every bit other models, and their high toll and advanced features make them more expensive to insure and maintain.
Scooters are an extremely practical and affordable culling to the fully fledged motorbike. Nevertheless, the skills needed to expertly handle a motorcycle are not the same as those that can be learned from owning and operating a scooter. If buying a motorcycle is your ultimate goal, a scooter may not be the best place to start as the skills you volition learn do not necessarily translate to a proper motorcycle. That being said, scooters are swell for urban travel, and are fairly like shooting fish in a barrel to handle. They are extremely fuel efficient (with some models getting as much as 90 miles to the gallon) and are inexpensive to maintain and insure. However, they can be less stable at college speeds and are unsuitable for decorated highways and extended trips.
Choosing the right model is one of the most important decisions you will make when shopping for a bicycle. The wrong choice tin lead to trouble down the line. As a full general rule, novice riders should avoid bikes over 500 pounds and with a native horsepower of more 70. For outset riders, or those with limited experience, standard and dual sport bikes are probably your best bet. Experienced riders will have a ameliorate idea of what they tin can handle, and should accept no trouble finding the wheel of their dreams.
Buying New vs Used Bikes
At present that yous have a amend idea of the type you’re interested in, information technology’southward time to retrieve well-nigh whether or non yous want to buy a new or used model. Each option has its own singled-out advantages and disadvantages, and both should be considered carefully.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Ownership New
– When ownership new you can be confident that at that place is no history of accidents or impairment.
– Naturally, almost new bikes will be more expensive than similar used models.
– A new bike should have petty, or no, miles on it.
– New models are more expensive to insure, particularly while your loan is in upshot.
– New engineering is making bikes safer, more than reliable, and easier to ride. New models feature the latest in technological upgrades.
– Similar any new vehicle, motorcycles brainstorm to depreciate in value the moment you ride off the lot. They also depreciate faster than cars or trucks, so your new bike’s resale value will driblet considerably in the first year.
– Information technology will be under warranty, typically for 1 to 2 years.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Buying Used
– Used motorcycles, barring vintage or collectable models, are significantly less expensive than new bikes.
– While used motorcycles are typically less expensive than new models, information technology tin can be hard to know what a fair request price should be. Earlier buying used, you lot should research the make and model to figure out its truthful marketplace value. The Kelley Bluish Volume motorbike reference guide tin help you approximate the market value of most second manus bikes.
– As a general rule, used models are cheaper to insure than new. Again, many factors need to be considered when information technology comes to insurance, and this is non a hard and fast rule.
– When ownership a used motorcycle there’southward is always a question of condition, and how much abuse the cycle may accept suffered. If you lot are because a used motorcycle, have it checked out by a reputable mechanic.
– Bikes depreciate more than quickly than cars or trucks. When you purchase used, you have a better take chances of recouping a larger role of your investment should you make up one’s mind to resell down the route.
– Used motorcycles typically crave more maintenance than new models and the upkeep can end up costing a fair amount of money. If y’all’re a DIY enthusiast this may not exist a major upshot, but if you lot’re not mechanically inclined it should be a consideration.
The decision to buy a new or used motorcycle rests entirely with you lot, and each has definite advantages and disadvantages. That being said, if you are a novice rider it sometimes make’s amend sense to buy a used motorbike as a starter bike. Chances are you’re going to drop the bike a few times every bit you become used to riding, and the cost of impairment to a second hand bicycle will be easier to absorb. Moreover, if you notice that the life of a motorcyclist is not for you lot, there’south a ameliorate take a chance of recouping a larger portion of your initial investment should you make up one’s mind to sell the bike.
Financing Your Bicycle
The Deviation Between Motorcycle & Auto Loans
When it comes to motorcycle loans, information technology is important to understand how they differ from standard auto loans. While there are some similarities (the importance of credit scores, personal assets, make, model, age of the vehicle, etc), there are some key differences that can significantly impact interest rates, also every bit decide whether or not you volition be approved for financing. Equally a general dominion, lenders are more hesitant to underwrite a motorbike than a standard machine, and this tin exist attributed to a few fundamental factors.
All of these factors contribute to higher interest rates. If you decide to finance the purchase of a new, or even a used, motorcycle, y’all should be prepared to pay a higher involvement rate than you would for a car or truck.
There are a few basic options when it comes to financing a motorbike. As with any loan, terms and interest rates volition be largely determined past your credit history, personal assets, and the amount of your downwards payment.
– About dealerships offering financing for qualified customers. However, interest rates may exist higher through a dealership than through an alternative lender, and it’s e’er wise to investigate all of your options before agreeing to any loan. As with whatsoever financing, terms and involvement rates volition be gear up by the dealer according to your credit score, down payment, and the life of the loan.
OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) Financing
– Some manufacturers (Harley-Davidson, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc) offering directly financing on NEW models. Again, OEM financing may atomic number 82 to higher interest rates, and blessing volition exist largely dependent on your credit history and electric current financial status.
– Motorcycle loans may be rarer than traditional machine loans, only they are not impossible to observe. While many local banks may be hesitant to underwrite a motorbike, nigh national banks and some credit unions do offer financing opportunities for qualified buyers. Nationwide, SunTrust, and USAA are all prime examples of national banks offering competitive options for motorcycles and other recreational vehicles. For many buyers, this is perhaps the best option when looking to secure motorbike financing.
– There are a growing number of online lending companies that specialize in motorcycle and other recreational vehicle financing. At that place are also a growing number of lenders specializing in bad credit loans. Nevertheless, as tempting as these lenders may be, y’all should be aware that interest rates from these lending companies tend to exist unduly loftier, often twice that of more traditional lenders.
– If your preferred bank or credit union does not offer loans specifically tailored for motorcycles, you may authorize for a personal loan if it can exist supported past your current fiscal status and personal assets. That being said, a personal loan may require some form of collateral, and you should exist careful what you are prepared to adventure for the purchase of your motorcycle.
– If yous have a high enough line of credit on a credit card, you might consider purchasing your motorcycle with that credit card. This actually has some benefits, as y’all volition avoid credit checks, loan applications, and whatever penalties for early repayment. However, you volition be faced with steep interest rates, and so tread carefully with this option.
Common Mistakes Buyers Make When Applying for Financing
Applying for financing requires careful consideration, and there are some pitfalls to avoid if you are going to observe a plan that works for y’all. Unfortunately, in the excitement of shopping or a new wheel, most buyers tend to brand the same financing mistakes. Before you lot put pen to newspaper, and sign whatever agreement, consider the following common mistakes, and avert them at all costs.
Shopping for a Motorcycle Earlier You Shop for Your Loan
– This is an all too common, and frankly understandable, mistake. However, you need to accept some idea of how much money a lender is willing to advance you before you start shopping for a bike. At that place’s no point getting your heart assail a $25,000 Harley-Davidson Cruiser when you lot may merely qualify for a $10,000 loan. Of course, the blazon of motorcycle y’all purchase will greatly influence the particulars of your loan (terms, interest rates, etc), but you should exist able to get a fair idea of how much coin you would be eligible to infringe before you showtime shopping for a bike. Make it a point to talk with a few unlike lenders before you start test driving new bikes.
Borrowing Likewise Much
– It is important to understand how much motorbike you tin afford before yous start shopping for a loan. This is an all likewise common mistake, and it leads to buyers getting saddled with motorcycle loans that rapidly become hardships. Figure out your budget early on in the ownership process, and recollect to allow for the additional costs of owning and operating a motorcycle which nosotros discussed before.
– Information technology’s easy to become overwhelmed when you’re shopping for a new cycle at a dealership. Quite oft the salesperson will attempt to close the deal by offering you special financing options. Tread carefully hither, and investigate the loan agreement thoroughly. Many of these promotions offer tantalizing low introductory rates, simply later on 12 or 24 months the involvement rates skyrocket. You mind observe you are better off working with an independent lender.
– This is one of the biggest mistakes motorcycle buyers make, and it tin can toll plenty in the final assay. When shopping for a motorcycle loan, always compare and dissimilarity offers from a number of dissimilar lenders. Ideally, you lot should contact at least 3 or 4 unlike lenders before deciding on the best deal. Compare dissimilar types of lenders as well, including credit unions, banks, and independent lending companies.
Knowing Your Credit Score
– Your credit history plays a big office in determining whether or not you qualify for a loan, and what the terms and weather of that loan might exist. Unfortunately, many buyers neglect to cheque their credit scores before applying for a loan, and this puts them in a weakened condition when information technology comes to negotiating terms. Earlier applying for any loan, cheque your credit scores with the three major reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) and request your free credit score. Check your scores to make sure that the data is accurate, and consistent, across all 3 reports. If there are whatever mistakes, you should have steps to rectify them earlier you apply to any lenders.
Long Term Loans
– While information technology’due south tempting to choose a longer term loan in order to take a lower monthly payment, information technology can backfire when it comes to motorcycle financing. You lot will stop up paying considerably more than for the bike as involvement rates mount up, and you will have less disinterestedness in the motorcycle should you decide to resell it. Recall, motorcycles depreciate in value relatively quickly, and it merely takes a couple of years to detect yourself paying on an upside down loan. An platonic motorcycle loan should have a life of 24 to 36 months, and definitely no more than than 60 months.
Asking the Right Questions
When information technology comes time to apply for your loan, whether it’due south through a bank, credit marriage, or other lender, information technology is disquisitional that you full understand the agreement before y’all sign any contracts. Naturally, in the excitement of ownership a new cycle information technology’s piece of cake to forget to enquire some fairly important questions, and that tin can atomic number 82 to debt that tin quickly become unmanageable. Before you lot sign any agreement, be sure to ask the following questions:
- How long is the term? Call back, longer terms mean lower monthly payments, but can lead to an upside down loan.
- Is the interest rate fixed or variable? This is an important question, and the answer tin accept a meaning affect on the shape of your loan. If your loan is variable and rates rise then the monthly payments may grow significantly.
- Does the loan follow the Rule of 78 or simple interest? Uncomplicated involvement is always the better selection. If your loan follows the Rule of 78, your initial monthly payments volition simply be applied to the interest on your loan, and it will exist some fourth dimension before you put a paring in the principle.
- Are at that place whatsoever penalties for early repayment?
- What are the penalties for late payments? These can include anything from punishment fees to an increment in involvement rates.
- What kind of down payment is required to qualify for, or secure, the loan?
- Are you required to carry total coverage insurance on the motorbike while the loan is active? As your new motorcycle will exist used as collateral for the loan, the answer is nearly e’er “aye”, specially in the instance of NEW motorcycles. However, when it comes to second manus bikes information technology’due south more often than not left to the lender’s discretion.
- Are registration fees included in the loan?
- Are at that place any authoritative fees associated with your awarding, and if and so what are they?
These are all disquisitional questions to ask when applying for a motorcycle loan, and they can assistance you avoid entering a loan understanding that you shortly come to regret. Recollect, earlier signing whatsoever contracts be sure that y’all fully understand the terms and atmospheric condition of your loan, as well equally your specific responsibilities as a borrower. Exercise not hesitate to ask the loan officer to explain whatsoever function of the financing understanding that yous practise not fully empathize, or that seems unnecessarily complicated.
Buying The Motorcycle of Your Dreams
Yes, the lure of the open road is hard to resist, but there’s more than to ownership a motorbike than simply picking a absurd looking model out of a merchandise magazine. Think about the kinds of riding y’all will be doing, and the type of motorcycle that fits your needs and your experience level. Carefully consider what y’all tin beget, and how you lot will finance your purchase. Take the time to research a number of different lending paths, until yous find the lender and the loan that works for you and your current fiscal situation. Once y’all find a loan that you are comfy with you’ll exist ready to finalize your purchase and commencement experiencing the magic that comes with seeing the world from the back of your new (or used) motorbike.
Redwood City Homeowners May Want to Refinance While Rates Are Low
The Federal Reserve has started to taper their bond buying program. Lock in today’s low rates and save on your loan.
Are yous paying too much for your mortgage?
Find Out What You Qualify For
Bank check your refinance options with a trusted Redwood City lender.
Respond a few questions below and connect with a lender who can help you lot refinance and salvage today!